“When you have a small community, each person in that community plays a very major role in making that community great. And without this person maybe this wouldn’t have happened. Or this person got inspired from this person. And it just becomes a chain effect where each person is really what is making the city great. And we need to spotlight those people and give them a chance to tell their story.”
-Chris Holifield from I Am Salt Lake
Listen to episode 9 for insights and advice for local podcasters:
- How Chris Holifield’s background influences his local podcast
- Podcasting as a passion
- Podcaster origin story and the Instagram connection
- Plans for the future of I Am Salt Lake
- How listener engagement has grown
- How he uses Facebook
- Sponsors for local podcasts
- The difference between sponsorship by local businesses and featuring local businesses on your local podcast
- Chris Holifield loves interviews. Find out why and how he approaches conversations on his podcast.
- How the podcast has changed with the addition of a co-host (Krissie Shelley)
- His target audience
- Taking his podcast live—on stage!
- His approach to editing his podcast
- His recording setup
- What does Chris like most about podcasting?
- What does he like least?
- What does he want to get better at?
- The biggest thing Chris Holifield has learned that other local podcasters should seriously consider
Links to local podcasting resources
I Am Salt Lake, the podcast hosted by Chris Holifield and Krissie Shelley
Subscribe to Podcast Local on your device:
By the way, would you like to start your own local podcast? There’s an OnTheGo Guide for that with 7 ways you can tell the stories of YOUR community. There’s also a guide for using your iPhone as a field recorder so you can interview on-the-go. The OnTheGo Guides are free and they’re designed to kickstart your creativity. Get them here!